- Iraq’s top Shia cleric urges “wise plan” after fall of Ramadi to Islamic State
Iraq’s top Shi’ite cleric, Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, called on Friday for a “wise and precise” plan to purge the country of Islamic State militants after they overran the western provincial capital of Ramadi several days ago.
- Heavy Saudi-Led Airstrikes Target Shiite Rebels in Yemen
The Saudi-led coalition on Friday launched heavy airstrikes against Shiite rebels in Yemen, targeting camps and weapons depots in the rebel-held capital, as a U.N. agency said some 234 children were killed in violence over the past two months.
- Yemen: Isis Claims Bomb Blast at Shia Houthi Mosque; 13 Injured
A bomb exploded at a Shi’ite Houthi mosque in Yemen’s capital city of Sana’a on Friday, injuring at least 13 people.
- Unknown gunmen kill two Shia Muslims in Pakistan
Peshawar: Unknown gunmen on Friday targeted three members of a Shia family here, killing one son and a security guard, while leaving father and another son injured in Pakistan’s volatile Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province.
- Isis tightens grip on Syria’s Palmyra
BEIRUT – Islamic State fighters tightened their grip on the historic Syrian city of Palmyra on Thursday and overran Iraqi government defences east of Ramadi, the provincial capital that they seized five days earlier.
- Iran threatens to ‘rain down 80,000 missiles’ on Israel after Jewish state’s defence minister is misquoted as saying he intended to hurt Lebanese civilians and children
Iran has threatened to unleash a firestorm of 80,000 missiles on Israel after Jerusalem’s defence minister was misquoted as saying he wanted to kill Lebanese children in a nuclear attack.
- Return of 175 Iranian bodies from Iraq stirs painful memories
The bodies of 175 Iranian divers who were reportedly buried alive with their hands tied during the Iran-Iraq War were returned from Iraq, said Gen.
- Sunni Tribes in Iraq Divided Over Battle Against Islamic State
BAGHDAD—While some of his Sunni kinsmen in Anbar province set about working with Shiite militias on a strategy to oust Islamic State, Emad al-Jumaili was making a very different kind of plan.
- Saudi Arabia: casualties after suicide bomber strikes Shia mosque
A suicide bomb attack during Friday prayers at a Shia mosque in eastern Saudi Arabia has killed 20 people and injured more than 50, according to local residents and hospital officials.
- With Morsi’s sentence, an end to second Egyptian revolution
Recently, an Egyptian court sentenced ousted President Mohamed Morsi to death over his part in a mass prison break in 2011 that helped topple then-President Hosni Muburak.