- Islamic State suicide attack kills 38 Iraqi policemen
Islamic State militants drove a tank rigged with explosives into a base south of the Iraqi city of Samarra on Monday, killing 38 policemen, military and police sources said.
- U.N. diplomat pushes to hold Yemen talks, Arab air strikes pound Houthis
Efforts to coax Yemen’s warring factions into talks have made some progress, officials said on Monday, as warplanes from a Saudi-led coalition mounted more air strikes on the country’s dominant Houthi militia.
- Suicide bombing claimed by Islamic State in western Libyan city kills five – official
Five people were killed and eight wounded in a suicide bombing claimed by Islamic State outside the Libyan city of Misrata on Sunday, security officials said.
- Islamic State targeted in 17 air strikes in Iraq, Syria: military statement
The United States and its allies carried out 17 air strikes on Islamic State targets in Iraq and Syria in a 24-hour period in their latest attacks on the group, the Combined Joint Task Force said on Sunday.
- Iran military adviser killed near Iraq’s IS-held Ramadi
An Iranian officer has been killed near the Iraqi city of Ramadi while advising Iraqi forces on how to recapture it from the Islamic State group, state media reported Monday.
- Turkey’s Erdogan threatens daily over Syria arms video
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has threatened an opposition daily which published footage allegedly showing trucks belonging to the state intelligence service carrying weapons to rebels in Syria, vowing it will pay a “heavy price”.
- Anti-IS strategy to face scrutiny at Paris coalition meeting
Paris (AFP) – The anti-IS coalition will meet in Paris Tuesday after a series of shock battlefield gains by the jihadists, with Iraq under pressure to step up its fight by being more inclusive of the Sunni minority.
- $500 million appeal for Iraq to be launched: UNICEF
Paris (AFP) – Humanitarian organisations are preparing to launch a fundraising appeal for $500 million (454 million euros) for the crisis created by the Islamic State group in Iraq, UNICEF said on Monday.
- Iraqi Shiite militia denies connection to atrocity video
BEIRUT: A Shiite militia has denied any connection to a viral video that purports to show its fighters committing a wartime atrocity in Iraq.
- King Salman is overhauling the birthplace of Saudi Arabia’s ideology
Saudi Arabia’s recently crowned King Salman is making the birthplace of his government’s ruling ideology into a tourist attraction, according to The New York Times.