- Syrian army regains ground against Islamic State in Hasaka city
The Syrian army said on Sunday it had repulsed a major offensive by Islamic State militants in the northeastern city of Hasaka and driven out fighters who had taken over key installations on the southern edge of the city.
- Bomb blast hits market in Nigeria’s Borno State, 16 dead
A bomb blast hit a cattle market in Nigeria’s northeastern state of Borno late on Saturday, with as many as 16 people dead, hospital and military sources said, in an attack that bore the hallmarks of Islamist Boko Haram militants.
- Israeli aircraft strike, PM accuses world of ignoring Gaza rockets
Israeli aircraft struck the Gaza Strip on Sunday after the latest in a series of Palestinian rocket attacks that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu accused the international community of ignoring.
- Britain to expand Iraq training mission to counter IS – Cameron
Britain is to expand its military training mission in Iraq in the coming weeks, Prime Minister David Cameron announced on Sunday, saying the Iraqi army needed more help to deal with improvised bombs planted by Islamic State militants.
- Saudi court upholds blogger’s 10 years and 1,000 lashes
Saudi Arabia’s Supreme Court has upheld the sentence of 1,000 lashes and 10 years of imprisonment on blogger Raif Badawi, despite a foreign outcry.
- Suicide car bomb kills 15 in Iraq: police
Baquba (Iraq) (AFP) – A suicide car bomb ripped through roadside restaurants at the entrance to the town of Baladruz in eastern Iraq, killing at least 15 people, police and provincial officials said Sunday.
- 45 dead in Saudi-led raids on Yemen capital
Sanaa (AFP) – Twenty civilians were among at least 45 people killed in Saudi-led air strikes on the rebel-held armed forces headquarters in the Yemeni capital on Sunday, a medic said.
- Iraq forces ‘advance in strategic northern town’
Kirkuk (Iraq) (AFP) – Iraqi forces advanced against the Islamic State jihadist group in Baiji on Sunday as they battled to retake the strategic town for a second time, officers said.
- US-led raids hit IS battling rebels, Qaeda in Syria
Beirut (AFP) – US-led aircraft bombed Islamic State group fighters as they battled rival Syrian rebels, including Al-Qaeda loyalists, in a first such intervention, a monitoring group said on Sunday.
- Iraqi troops reportedly advance against ISIS in key refinery town
Iraqi troops and Shiite militias recaptured key parts of the refinery town of Beiji from ISIS Sunday, a general said.