- ISIL and the tactics of death
Death is a recruitment tool which poses a dilemma for ISIL’s enemies – they cannot kill their way to victory.
- US Congress fails to make Jerusalem Israel’s capital
The back door attempt to compel US recognition of Jerusalem as Israel’s capital has not only failed, it has backfired.
- Battle for Mosul: The cards are stacked against ISIL
Thousands of fighters have been training in northern Iraq to retake ISIL’s de facto capital in the country.
- Tension mounts between Iraqi Arabs and Kurds
Nearly a year after ISIL was repelled from Makhmour, some Kurds say their Arab neighbours are no longer welcome.
- Iraqis mark a grim anniversary
Residents tell Al Jazeera how their lives have changed since ISIL tore through their country a year ago.
- Swiss and Austrians probe possible cyberattack on Iran nuclear talks
Swiss authorities have searched a house in Geneva and seized computer material in connection with a possible cyberattack on nuclear negotiations between Iran and major powers in the city, Switzerland’s attorney-general said on Thursday.
- U.S. considering more military bases in Iraq – top general
The United States is considering building more U.S. military bases in Iraq to drive back Islamic State militants in a move that may require a further increase in American forces, the top U.S. general said on Thursday.
- Syria conflict: Al-Nusra fighters kill Druze villagers
At least 20 Druze villagers have been shot dead by the al-Qaeda-affiliated al-Nusra Front in north-western Syria, activist and opposition groups say.
- Saudi Arabia condemns foreign criticism of blogger case
Riyadh (AFP) – Saudi Arabia on Thursday condemned foreign criticism of a 1,000-lash sentence that the kingdom’s highest court upheld against a blogger, rejecting “interference” in its internal affairs.
- Bahrain court strips 56 Shiites of nationality for ‘terrorism’
MANAMA, Bahrain: A higher criminal court in Bahrain has convicted and sentenced five people to life in prison and stripped 56 Shiite citizens of their nationality on charges of forming a terrorist cell, targeting policemen and illegal possession of weapons.