- How leaked Saudi documents might really matter
On Friday, WikiLeaks and the Lebanese newspaper al-Akhbar released just over 60,000 out of a half-million leaked diplomatic cables from the kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- U.S., allies target Islamic State with 18 air strikes in Iraq
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – U.S. and coalition forces launched 18 air strikes against Islamic State targets in Iraq on Saturday, with four each in Tal Afar and Mosul, the U.S. military said in a statement.
- Taliban vs. ISIS: The Islamic State Is Doomed in Afghanistan
The Islamic State (IS) has grown its fearsome global franchise beyond Iraq and Syria largely by convincing, inciting, or inspiring local, homegrown groups to swear allegiance to the “Caliph” Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. Various groups in places like Nigeria—Boko Haram—Libya, and Southeast Asia are now affiliates of IS.
- Syrian army advances west of IS-controlled Palmyra
Damascus (AFP) – The Syrian army has reopened a key oil supply route near Islamic State-controlled Palmyra, as the jihadist group has mined the city’s ancient UNESCO-listed ruins.
- Iran’s Forces and U.S. Share a Base in Iraq
The U.S. military and Iranian-backed Shiite militias are getting closer and closer in Iraq, even sharing a base, while Iran uses those militias to expand its influence in Iraq and fight alongside the Bashar al-Assad regime in neighboring Syria.
- Secret Talks Between Israelis and Saudis Reflect Regional Anxieties
Given the sorry state of affairs in the Middle East, it’s easy to conclude there’s no end in sight to the ongoing chaos, violence and upheaval.
- Syrian Kurdish fighters chase IS from key base north of Raqa: NGO
Beirut (AFP) – Syrian Kurdish fighters have chased Islamic State militants from a key base north of the jihadists’ stronghold city of Raqa, according to a monitoring group.
- Saudi comedian shrugs off threats after mocking IS
Dubai (AFP) – A prominent Saudi comedian who has mocked the Islamic State group and Islamists in the ultra-conservative kingdom has said he shall not be deterred after receiving online threats.
- WikiLeaks Release Of Top Secret Saudi Cables Exposes Another Saudi Princess Who Doesn’t Pay Her Bills
The release of more than 61,000 top secret Saudi documents by WikiLeaks Friday has already exposed some interesting details about Saudi Arabia’s foreign policy objectives.
- Israel Supplying Saudi Arabia With Weapons To Fight Yemen Rebels, Iranian Media Claims
Shiite Houthi rebels seized Israeli-made weapons from the Saudi Arabian embassy in the Yemeni capital of Sanaa Saturday, according to Iran’s semiofficial Fars News Agency.