- Iran, world powers push for Tuesday nuclear deal
Nuclear negotiations between Tehran and six world powers were set to miss a midnight deadline on Monday to reach a final deal, but diplomats from all sides said they hoped for a breakthrough in the coming hours.
- Iraq launches offensive to drive Islamic State from biggest province
Iraqi troops and Shi’ite Muslim militia forces attacked Islamic State fighters on several fronts on Monday in Anbar, the country’s largest province, at the start of what is likely to be a long and fiercely contested offensive.
- Iran, major powers reach historic nuclear deal – Iranian diplomat
Iran and six major powers have reached a historic nuclear deal, which will grant Tehran sanctions relief in exchange for curbs on its nuclear programme, an Iranian diplomat said on Tuesday.
- Tigris runs red in video of ISIL massacre that killed up to 1,700 Shia Muslims and soldiers
Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant has released new footage from its deadliest massacre, showing executions on an industrial scale at a military base following its attack near the Iraqi city of Tikrit last year.
- Bahrain king pardons Shia activist Nabeel Rajab for ‘health reasons’
Bahrain’s King Hamad on Monday pardoned leading rights activist Nabeel Rajab, serving a six-month jail sentence, for “health reasons”, the official news agency BNA reported.
- Ending Lucknow’s unholy hatred
July 13, 2015:Violence between Sunni and Shia Muslims in India has persisted for just over a century. Yet, the phenomenon has received far too little attention from political scientists, journalists and policymakers.
- Car bomb explodes near military hospital in Yemeni capital
In a statement issued this afternoon, the United Nations spokesperson relayed the Secretary-General’s call for a full investigation into the incident and for those responsible to be held to account.
- Shiite militia claim to liberate Fallujah neighborhoods
ERBIL, Kurdistan Region — Iraqi Shiite militias—also called Popular Mobilization Units (PMU)—have recaptured areas of ISIS controlled Fallujah in Anbar province, according to a statement released by the group Monday.
- Yemen officials: Saudi-led coalition strike kills 25 people
SANAA, Yemen (AP) — An airstrike by the Saudi-led coalition targeting Yemen’s Shiite rebels and their allies struck a poor residential area in the capital of Sanaa on Monday, killing 25 civilians and wounding at least 50, according to the rebels and medical officials.
- Kuwait sets up new anti-‘terror’ group
The Gulf state of Kuwait, hit by the worst suicide attack in its history last month, decided on Monday to set up a permanent committee to fight “terrorism” and extremism.