- Obama says Iran, Russia, Turkey should be part of discussions on Syria
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – U.S. President Barack Obama said on Wednesday the problems in Syria would not be solved without support from Russia, Turkey and other partners, and he said Iran needed to be part of those discussions.
- Qaeda, allies attack Shiite villages in northwest Syria
Beirut (AFP) – Al-Qaeda’s Syrian affiliate and its Islamist allies launched an attack Wednesday on the last two Shiite Muslim villages under regime control in northwest Idlib province, militants and a monitor said.
- Islamic State targeted in 33 air strikes by U.S.-led coalition: statement
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The United States and its coalition partners targeted Islamic State forces with 33 air strikes in Iraq and Syria on Tuesday in the latest round of daily attacks on the militants, a coalition statement said on Wednesday.
- Two Islamic State leaders killed in Syria air strike: Observatory
BEIRUT (Reuters) – Two senior Islamic State leaders were killed in an air strike in northeastern Syria on Monday, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported.
- The toxic rivalry of Saudi Arabia and Isis
The death last week of Prince Saud al-Faisal, the respected statesman who had been foreign minister of Saudi Arabia for 40 years until this spring, prompted comment about the kingdom’s apparent transition from diplomacy behind the scenes to a policy of confrontation with Iran, the Sunni Arab realm’s Shia and Persian rival for regional hegemony.
- Car bomb explodes in Saudi capital Riyadh
Blast at security checkpoint comes as region is on high alert for attacks by Isis but investigators do not yet know if group is responsible
- Nuclear deal: Iran now greater Satan than US
Ever since the 1979 Islamic Revolution, Iran tried to cast itself as the leader of the entire Muslim world, and not just of its own minority Shia sect.
- Yemen troops push Shiite rebels out of Aden areas
SANAA, Yemen (AP) — Saudi-backed Yemeni troops and fighters have driven Shiite rebels out of two major neighborhoods in the southern port city of Aden, Thursday, prompting street celebrations by residents after weeks of fierce fighting.
- Qaeda, Allies Attack Shiite Villages In Northwest Syria Join our daily free Newsletter
(MENAFN – Arab Times) Al-Qaeda’s Syrian affiliate and its Islamist allies launched an attack Wednesday on the last two Shiite Muslim villages under regime control in northwest Idlib province, militants and a monitor said.