- Suspected Boko Haram militants kill eight, kidnap 100 in Cameroon
At least eight people were killed and about 100 others were kidnapped by suspected Boko Haram militants in an overnight raid on a village near Cameroon’s northern border, a local government and a military source said.
- U.S. lawmakers offer Nigeria support in Boko Haram fight
The United States could lift a ban on shipping arms to Nigeria’s military to help fight the militant Islamist group Boko Haram if Abuja improves its human rights record, visiting U.S. Congress members said on Tuesday.
- New Taliban leader facing tension as top official quits
A top Taliban official announced his resignation on Tuesday amid a growing leadership struggle in the Afghan insurgent movement after news of the death of leader Mullah Mohammad Omar last week.
- UK extends Iraqi air campaign against Islamic State until March 2017
Britain will extend its air campaign in Iraq against Islamic State militants by a year, Defence Secretary Michael Fallon said on Tuesday, saying it would use ageing Tornado fighter jets to conduct strikes until at least early 2017.
- Boko Haram ‘under siege’ as Nigeria rescues 178 hostages
Maiduguri (Nigeria) (AFP) – Nigeria’s military said Monday it had “besieged” Boko Haram positions in the Islamist militant group’s northeastern heartland after setting free 178 hostages, mainly women and children.
- US warning to Syria army met with scepticism in Damascus
Damascus (AFP) – A US warning that it would use its air power to defend Pentagon-trained rebels against Syrian troops was met with scepticism by officials in Damascus on Tuesday.
- Turkey’s Erdogan says Putin may ‘give up’ on Assad
Istanbul (AFP) – Russian President Vladimir Putin is having a change of heart on the Kremlin’s wholehearted support for Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad and may “give up on him” in the future, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan was quoted as saying Monday.
- Kuwait Shiite Mosque Attack Suspect Admits Being in IS
The main suspect in a deadly attack on a Kuwaiti Shiite mosque in June confessed in court today to being in the jihadist Islamic State group.
- Senior Iranian cleric writes letter to al-Azhar’s grand imam
Senior Iranian cleric Ayatollah Nasser Makarem Shirazi has welcomed a call by the Grand Imam of the al-Azhar Mosque, Egypt’s top Muslim authority, for a unity meeting of leading Sunni and Shia scholars.
- Ethiopian court gives stiff sentences to Muslim activists
ADDIS ABABA – An Ethiopian court has sentenced 18 Muslim activists to up to 22 years in jail on terrorism-related charges stemming from allegations that the accused tried to create an Islamic state in Ethiopia using terrorism.