- IS top command dominated by ex-officers in Saddam’s army
BAGHDAD (AP) — While attending the Iraqi army’s artillery school nearly 20 years ago, Ali Omran remembers one major well. An Islamic hard-liner, he once chided Omran for wearing an Iraqi flag pin into the bathroom because it included the words “God is great.”
- Israel makes veiled threats against Iranian nuclear scientists
Berlin (AFP) – Israeli Defence Minister Moshe Yaalon issued a veiled threat against Iranian nuclear experts saying the Jewish state had a right to defend itself and that he was not “responsible for their lives”.
- Islamic State executed 2,000 Iraqis in Nineveh: defense minister
BAGHDAD (Reuters) – More than two thousand Iraqis in the northern province of Nineveh have been executed by Islamic State militants controlling the area, the defense minister said on Friday in a recorded statement.
- Doubts about effectiveness of anti-ISIL air raids
A year on from the start of the US-led coalition’s air campaign against armed group, many question its level of success.
- Will Kurds be the decisive factor in fighting ISIL?
Supporting the Kurds and Free Syrian Army on the ground is essential to win against ISIL.
- Anti-Houthi forces take strategic city in Yemen, Emirati troops killed
Fighters backed by an Arab military coalition seized the key city of Zinjibar in southern Yemen on Saturday, residents and militia sources said, dealing another major blow to the dominant Houthi group.
- Attacks on army, police and U.S. special forces kill 50 in Kabul
A wave of attacks on the Afghan army and police and U.S. special forces in Kabul have killed at least 50 people and wounded hundreds, dimming hopes that the Taliban might be weakened by a leadership struggle after their longtime leader’s death.
- Grand Imam of al-Azhar strongly condemns calling Shias as infidels; Quran, Sunnah reject excommunicating Shia Muslims
Ahlul Bayt News Agency – The grand imam of Egypt’s Al-Azhar Islamic Center criticized certain satellite television networks for describing Shia Muslims as infidels.
- ‘Sunnis have 15,000 mosques across Iran’
Iran’s Mosques Affairs Regulating Authority dispelled rumours claiming Sunni Muslims do not have a single mosque in Tehran as propaganda on the instituions official website.
- How Saudi Arabia exports radical Islam
Saudi Arabia has spent billions promoting its extremist version of Islam. What has it wrought? Here’s everything you need to know: