- Iran oil output could jump sharply post-sanctions – IEA
Iran could raise its oil output by as much as 730,000 barrels per day (bpd) from current levels fairly quickly after sanctions are removed, the International Energy Agency said on Wednesday.
- Turkey, Iran help broker rare truce in Syria
Syria’s warring parties declared a 48-hour ceasefire in two frontline areas on Wednesday after unprecedented mediation from Turkey and Iran, signalling a new approach by some of the main regional backers of the opposing sides.
- IAEA to discuss its role, money needs under Iran deal on August 25
An International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) meeting later this month will consider how to finance the monitoring of Iran’s nuclear deal with world powers, a crucial step toward an eventual end of sanctions on Tehran.
- Islamic State’s Egyptian ally says it beheads Croat – SITE
An Egyptian group allied to Islamic State has published a photograph it said showed the beheaded body of a Croatian hostage it threatened to kill last week, the SITE monitoring service said on Wednesday.
- Syrian air strikes kill 31, rebels bombard Damascus – monitor
Syrian government air strikes on rebel-held areas near Damascus killed at least 31 people on Wednesday, and insurgents bombarded the capital with rockets that killed at least 13 people, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported.
- Syria strongly condemns stances of Saudi’s FM
An official source at the Syrian Foreign and Expatriates Ministry said that Syria strongly condemns the stances announced by the Saudi Foreign Minister which exposed fully the destructive role of his Wahabi kingdom in the aggression on Syria.
- 10 ISIL Commanders Killed in Fallujah, Iraq
Nearly a dozen Takfiri terrorist leaders were killed in heavy clashes with the Iraqi army and popular forces in the city of Fallujah, West of the capital, Baghdad, on Wednesday.
- Shiite forces to launch ‘final’ offensive to retake Anbar
ERBIL, Kurdistan Region — The Shiite Hashd al-Shaabi militias say joint Iraqi forces are in the final stages of preparations to launch a final offensive against Islamic State positions in Anbar province.
- At least 60 killed in blast at market in Baghdad Shia neighbourhood
At least 60 people have been killed and 200 wounded in a bomb attack on a market in the Baghdad’s Sadr City neighbourhood, according to police and medical sources.
- Boko Haram leader Shekau replaced by pro-peace deputy, Chad’s president says
N’DJAMENA, Chad, Aug. 12 (UPI) — The violent leader of the Boko Haram Islamist group in Nigeria, Abubakar Shekau, was reportedly replaced by another Boko Haram deputy who seeks peace talks.