- Egypt row over Facebook muezzin call
An Egyptian muezzin is facing disciplinary action for altering the words of the call to dawn prayer.
- Merkel says would welcome constructive Iranian role in any Syria talks
Germany would welcome Iran’s participation in any negotiations aimed at ending the civil war in Syria, Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Monday.
- Deadly Saudi Arabia fire at Aramco complex in Khobar
A fire at a residential complex in Saudi Arabia has left 11 people dead and injured at least 200 others, Saudi officials say.
- Cultural heritage a casualty of war
Damascus (AFP) – Islamic State militants have destroyed two of the most important temples in the UNESCO-listed Syrian city of Palmyra, as they press their campaign to wipe out some of the Middle East’s most important heritage sites.
- A year on, Yazidis so close yet so far from Iraq hub
Sinjar (Iraq) (AFP) – Jihadists occupying the Iraqi town of Sinjar are so close that Kurdish fighters can watch them without binoculars and battles are often fought with hand grenades.
- Boko Haram killers on horseback massacre nearly 80 in NE Nigeria
Kano (Nigeria) (AFP) – Suspected Boko Haram gunmen on horseback shot dead nearly 80 people in attacks on three villages in Nigeria’s restive northeast at the weekend, a vigilante and residents told AFP on Monday.
- Saudi executes Pakistani for drug trafficking
Riyadh (AFP) – Saudi authorities executed a Pakistani man on Sunday for attempting to smuggle drugs into the ultra-conservative kingdom, the interior ministry said.
- Nigeria’s security agency says arrested 20 suspected Boko Haram chiefs
Nigeria’s security agency said on Sunday it had made significant breakthroughs in the fight against Boko Haram and arrested 20 prominent members of the militant Islamist group accused of orchestrating deadly attacks.
- IS in Syria executes over 90 people in month: monitor
Beirut (AFP) – The Islamic State group has executed more than 90 people, a third of them civilians, over the past month in areas of war-torn Syria it controls, a monitor said Sunday.
- U.S., allies conduct 20 air strikes against Islamic State – U.S. military
The United States and its allies conducted 20 air strikes against Islamic State in Iraq and Syria on Saturday, the Combined Joint Task Force said in a statement on Sunday.
- Saudi-led coalition air strike kills 36 Yemeni civilians – residents
An air strike by warplanes from a Saudi-led coalition, which said it targeted a bomb-making factory, killed 36 civilians working at a bottling plant in the northern Yemeni province of Hajjah on Sunday, residents said.