- Bahraini security forces take down Ashura banners in 5 areas
Ahlul Bayt News Agency – Activists on social media said that the Bahraini Interior Ministry’s security forces continued to take down on Tuesday (October 13, 2015) banners and flags for the Ashura season which the country’s Shiite majority commemorates each year.
- Iraqi forces in major push against IS jihadists
BAGHDAD: Iraqi forces battled the Islamic State jihadist group on separate fronts Thursday, ramping up operations to retake Baiji and Ramadi, two of the conflict’s worst flashpoints.
- Lucknow: Shias protest ban on hoardings, administration ‘relents’
Defying the ban on putting up religious hoardings on the Bada Imambara stretch, Shia cleric Kalbe Jawwad, joined by youths from the community, led a march Wednesday and put up customary black flags.
- Russian forces show might in Syria, and west takes notice
WASHINGTON: Two weeks of air and missile strikes in Syria have given western intelligence and military officials a deeper appreciation of the transformation that Russia’s military has undergone under President Vladimir V Putin, showcasing its ability to conduct operations beyond its borders and providing a public demonstration of new weaponry, tactics and strategy.
- Mother of Saudi youth facing beheading urges Obama to intervene
LONDON: The mother of a youth facing beheading for taking part in protests in Saudi Arabia has pleaded with US President Barack Obama to “rescue my son” in an interview published by the British daily the Guardian Thursday.
- Shia bodies announce Muharram schedules
On the eve of commencement of new Islamic year, various Shia organizations have announced schedule for processions, starting from the first day of the new Islamic month, Muharram.
- Saudi to Execute Juvenile Grandson of Prominent Shia Cleric
It was Malala Yousafazi, who said: “We realize the importance of our voice when we are silenced.” Today we have the opportunity to speak up and denounce the most heinous crimes of all – those committed against children.
- New refugee influx expected with regime, Shiite bloc’s Aleppo offensive
Forces loyal to the Syrian regime army and allied Iranian and Hezbollah forces are preparing for a ground offensive against insurgents in the Aleppo area backed by Russian airstrikes, two senior regional officials familiar with the plans said on Tuesday.
- Hezbollah chief backs Palestinian ‘intifada’
Beirut (AFP) – The head of Lebanon’s powerful Shiite Hezbollah movement on Wednesday backed a series of Palestinian attacks on Israelis, describing them as resistance and an “intifada”.
- Pakistan Deploys 16,000 Security Troops For Shi’ite Holy Month
Pakistani Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar has announced the deployment of more than 16,000 security forces across Pakistan in a bid to prevent sectarian violence during the Shi’ite holy month of Moharram.