- Crying out in agony and covered in blood, Afghan Shiite Muslims wash away their sins in gory self-flagellation rituals to commemorate death of the Prophet’s grandson 1,300 years ago
Shiite Muslims in Afghanistan have gathered to perform gory self-flagellation rituals to mark Ashura, one of the major fixtures of the Islamic calendar.
- Iranian-trained Shiite fighters rally to Syria offensive
IRBIL, Iraq Lebanese, Iranian and Iraqi Shiite militias in unprecedented numbers have been drawn into the Syrian civil war as the Syrian government backed by Russian air power embarks on a four-pronged offensive to retake territory lost to rebels over the past four years.
- Bahrain activist’s sentence reduced to 1 year in prison
MANAMA, Bahrain (AP) — A prominent Bahraini human rights activist charged over tearing up a picture of the island’s king saw her sentence reduced to a year in prison Wednesday, though her lawyer said she would refuse to turn herself in.
- Lucknow Shiite clerics in demand abroad for Muharram programs
Ahlul Bayt News Agency – Do not be surprised if you find the airport crowded with Shia clerics, because these clerics from Lucknow are now being invited from all parts of the world to address the Muharram majlis, a religious congregation during the period of mourning.
- Shiite mourners teargassed in Kashmir capital
Police on Thursday used tear gas to disperse Shiite mourners in Kashmir capital Srinagar.
- US slams Syrian President Assad’s ‘red-carpet’ welcome in Russia
Moscow: The White House issued a scathing attack on Russia’s “red carpet” welcome for Syrian President Bashar al-Assad on Wednesday, accusing Moscow of impeding progress towards a political transition by propping up the strongman.
- Thousands of Saudi Shias bury victims of ISIS gun attack
Ahlul Bayt News Agency – Thousands of people in Saudi Arabia’s Eastern Province have held a funeral ceremony for the victims of recent terrorist attacks on two mosques, denouncing the endless targeting of members of the Shia community in the kingdom.
- Shia Sunni Coordination Committee holds procession
The Shia Sunni Coordination led a Muharram procession from Kathi Darwaza in Srinagar in which leaders and members of both the Sunni and Shias communities participated on Wednesday.
- Iran President: Ashura culture globalized
Ahlul Bayt News Agency – Ashura culture have been globalized and should be used for strengthening solidarity among its followers, President Hassan Rouhani said on Wednesday.
- Ashura: Government announces holidays on 9th, 10th Muharram
ISLAMABAD (Staff Report) – The Government of Pakistan has announced holidays on the account of Ashoora on Muharram 9 and 10 (October 23 and October 24).