- Massive protest in Kabul over decapitation of Shiite Hazaras
Thousands of protesters marched coffins containing the decapitated bodies of seven Shiite Hazaras through the Afghan capital Wednesday, demanding justice for a minority whose persecution by the Taliban they say is ignored by the government.
- Bahrain court sentences Shiite opposition figure to 2 years in prison
MANAMA, Bahrain – A criminal court in Bahrain has sentenced a member of the Gulf Arab country’s largest Shiite opposition group to two years in prison on charges related to his political activism.
- Afghan Shiite, Sunni Muslims Defy Wahhabism: Cleric
TEHRAN (Tasnim) – A top Afghan cleric warned of attempts by Saudi Arabia and Qatar at spreading Wahhabism in Afghanistan, stressing that both Shiite and Sunni groups are in defiant of emergence of the ideology in his country.
- Iraqi PM’s reforms hindered by divisions
Baghdad: Facing resistance from within his own party, Iraqi Prime Minister Haider Al Abadi is struggling to sustain support for a political shake-up he says is critical to efforts to counter Daesh terrorists.
- Iran’s Trojan Army Makes A Splash In Iraq
An army created by “others” cannot be reformed; it must be abolished and replaced by a new one loyal to the revolution.
- Iran signs deal doubling gas exports to Iraq
Tehran (AFP) – Iran will double gas exports to neighbouring ally Iraq from 2017 under a contract signed on Wednesday.
- Ten years on, Iraq Lies in Ruins as New Evidence confirms U.S. used Death Squads to Manufacture ‘Civil War’
Ten years ago, more or less to the day, I wrote the following on the then Signs of the Times page:
- Shia killing in Pakistan again becomes widespread: Allama Jafri
Ahlul Bayt News Agency -ABNA- Central Secretary General of MWM (a Shia religious and political party in Pakistan), Allama Nasir Abbas Jafri said “What is government doing in the name of ‘National Action Plan’ to crack down on terrorism, has lost its importance and utility due to biasness of the government.”
- Iraq: Crisis Update – October 2015
Iraq is experiencing the worst humanitarian crisis in decades. Increasing violence in Iraq since 2013 has resulted in the displacement of over three million people, who often have very little access to healthcare services.
- Airstrikes Hit ISIL in Syria, Iraq
SOUTHWEST ASIA, November 11, 2015 — U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.