- Iraq: Hundreds of thousands of Shiite Muqtada al-Sadr supporters protest corruption in Baghdad
Hundreds of thousands of Shiite Muslims, supporters of the influential cleric Muqtada al-Sadr, have taken to the streets of Baghdad to protest corruption in the government of Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi.
- Thousands of Bahraini Shiites Demand an End to Sectarian Discrimination against Them / Photos
AhlulBayt News Agency – Thousands of Shiite worshipers in Bahrain’s Diraz took part in a march following Friday prayers at the Imam Sadiq Mosque, one of the largest Shiite mosques in Bahrain, on (February 26, 2016) during which they chanted different slogans demanding putting an end to the sectarian discrimination practiced against them.
- Saudi Arabia: Lebanon Must Stop Hezbollah in Yemen, Syria
Lebanon must take action to stop Iran’s terror proxy Hezbollah from exporting its “mercenaries” into Yemen and Syria, reportedly urged a Saudi military spokesman.
- Car bomb kills 2 in Syria hours after cease-fire began, state TV says
BEIRUT – A suicide car bomb exploded Saturday on the edge of a government-held central town, killing two people and wounding four, hours after a cease-fire brought relative calm to parts of Syria, the state news agency and opposition activists said.
- Abadi renews vow to fight corruption amid demonstrations
ERBIL, Kurdistan Region – The Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi said Saturday that no party can paralyze the institutions of his government, that he will fight corruption, bring about social co-existence and liberate areas still held by the Islamic State.
- Cease-fire goes into effect in Syria
Guns fell silent for the first time in years in parts of civil-war-racked Syria early Saturday morning, as a cease-fire brokered by the United States and Russia went into effect at midnight, Damascus time.
- Shia leader Athar passes away at 79
Maulana Mirza Mohammad Athar, the man who held the record for imparting Moharrum sermons for 57 successive years at the Masjid e Iranian in South Mumbai, passed away Friday afternoon after suffering from a pneumonia attack in a hospital in New Delhi.
- Egyptian police clashed with Muslim Brotherhood supporters, 2 killed
AhlulBayt News Agency – Egypt’s Interior Ministry says security forces have clashed with Islamist Muslim Brotherhood protesters in northern Egypt, killing two of them and arresting six.
- Shia shrines defenders defending ideological borders: Iranian top commander
Commander of Khatam-ol-Anbia Air Defense Base said Iranian military advisors martyred in Syria while protecting Shia holy shrines are actually defending ideological borders, adding the enemies are trying to tarnish the image of religion.
- Iran elections: early results show reformists and moderates lead race
Votes are being counted in Iran’s hard-fought elections with the first unofficial results showing gains for supporters of President Hassan Rouhani that could help promote greater opening to the west and limited advances at home.