- Can Saudis ease Egypt-Qatar tension after Al Jazeera death sentences?
Animosity continues to define Egyptian-Qatari relations, as demonstrated when officials in Doha recently condemned a Cairo court for sentencing two Al Jazeera employees to death on charges of passing Egyptian secret security documents to Qatar during Mohammed Morsi’s presidency.
- Turkish students up in arms over Islamization of education
Since the Justice and Development Party (AKP) took power in 2002, Turkey has had six education ministers, each of whom made major changes to the education system, some argue to turn students into guinea pigs.
- Ramadan no longer a month of peace, serenity in Turkey
On June 17, about 20 men stormed the Velvet Indieground record store in Istanbul’s hip Cihangir district with sticks and makeshift weapons.
- Iran warns Bahrain ‘will pay price’ for crackdown on Shiites
Iran has warned Bahrain that it is fanning armed rebellion and “will pay the price” after an escalating crackdown on the country’s Shiite majority saw a top cleric stripped of citizenship.
- Jordan declares Syria border ‘military zone’ after bombing
Jordan declared the desert border regions with Syria and Iraq “military zones” barred to civilians after a suicide bomber killed six Jordanian soldiers near the Syrian frontier on Tuesday.
- Tehran drags Moscow deeper into Syria
For Iran, the ongoing war in Syria is no longer a matter of regional security. The conflict now has direct effects and implications for Iran’s national security.
- The Latest: US says only 1/3 of Fallujah cleared of IS
BAGHDAD (AP) — The Latest on Iraq’s battle against the Islamic State group (all times local):
- ISIS orders Mosul residents to pay IQD 25000 in Zakat al-Fitr
AhlulBayt News Agency – The ISIS terrorist group has forced residents of its stronghold in Iraq’s northern city of Mosul to pay thousands of Iraqi dinars in Zakat al-Fitr or donations to the poor at the end of the holy Muslim fasting month of Ramadan.
- Iran’s Velayati condemns Bahrain’s revocation of Sheikh Isa Qassim’s citizenship
AhlulBayt News Agency – Leader’s senior adviser Velayati, while slamming Bahrain’s decision in revoking citizenship of Sheikh Isa Qassim, said Al-Khalifa regime and their supporters must realize that a nation’s will cannot be confronted.