- Tehran drags Moscow deeper into Syria
For Iran, the ongoing war in Syria is no longer a matter of regional security. The conflict now has direct effects and implications for Iran’s national security.
- Why Syria’s Kurds are cooperating with Russia
GAZIANTEP, Turkey — Since the Syrian revolution began in 2011, the Kurds have not engaged in direct military confrontations with the regime of President Bashar al-Assad, which has not shelled their areas as it has other Syrian cities, even though the Kurds have always opposed successive Syrian regimes.
- Rally Outside Shiite Sheikh’s Home Reflects Bahrain Unrest
Hundreds of Bahraini protesters kept up their rally Thursday outside the home of a Shiite cleric, a day after they chanted a promise to “give our soul and blood as a sacrifice” to protect him following the government’s move that revoked his citizenship this week.
- Saudi suspect found dead after gunfight in Shiite town
RIYADH // A man wanted by Saudi authorities has been found dead after a police raid and exchange of gunfire in a Shiite town, the interior ministry said Thursday.
- Shiite politician expects most Kurds to vote for staying with Iraq
ERBIL, Kurdistan Region — A senior Iraqi Shiite politician says he expects most Kurds will vote against separation in a referendum and will rather want to stay with Iraq.
- A Tour of Falluja Reveals Grim Remnants of Life Under ISIS
FALLUJA, Iraq — As Iraqi forces move through Falluja, the city is yielding the grim remnants of more than two years of Islamic State rule.
- Amjad Sabri assassination: Why do the Islamic jihadis hate the Sufis so much?
Not many might know that in 2014 the Islamabad High Court had issued a notice in a blasphemy case to Amjad Sabri, one of the finest qawwals of Pakistan, along with two TV channels for the playing of a qawwali during a morning show.
- Bahrain summons senior Shia clerics for questioning: lawyer
Bahraini authorities on Thursday summoned five Shia Muslim scholars for questioning, activists said, in what appeared another step in a crackdown on dissent by the Sunni-ruled kingdom.
- Prominent Pakistani Shia, Farhan Ali Waris, escapes assassination attempt in Karachi
KARACHI, Pakistan – AhlulBayt News Agency – Hours after the famed qawwal Amjad Sabri was killed in a gun attack, prominent Shia noha Khawan (reciter of elegies) Farhan Ali Waris escaped an assassination attempt in Karachi.
- Ayatollah Sistani Expresses Solidarity with Bahrain’s Sheikh Issa Qassem
AhlulBayt News Agency – Top Iraqi reference, Ayatollah Sayyed Ali Sistani expressed solidarity with Sheikh Issa al-Qassem, after Bahraini regime stripped the leading Shia cleric of citizenship.