- Syrian army seizes only road into rebel-held Aleppo
BEIRUT/AMMAN (Reuters) – Syria’s army and allied militia fighters seized the only road into the rebel-held part of Aleppo on Sunday, tightening a siege around opposition areas of the northern city, which President Bashar al-Assad has pledged to recapture.
- US troops in Iraq now ‘target’ for Shiite militia, influential cleric preaches
Shiite Muslim cleric Moqtada al-Sadr has called on his followers to “target” the new US troops that are about to be sent to Iraq to fight Islamic State. The statement comes after US Defense Secretary Ash Carter announced the deployment of 560 more troops.
- Reports: Bahrain court orders main Shiite party dissolved
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates – Local media in Bahrain are reporting that a court has ordered the country’s main Shiite opposition group to be dissolved.
- Iraq: Suicide bombing in Baghdad Shiite district kills 12
BAGHDAD (AP) – A suicide car bomb ripped through an outdoor market in a Shiite-dominated northeastern district of Baghdad on Tuesday, killing at least 12 people, officials said, as government forces deployed across much of the Iraqi capital in preparation for a major military parade later this week.
- Former CIA director on “worst-case scenario” in Syrian civil war
The next president will face countless challenges on day one. Among the biggest is the ongoing civil war in Syria.
- ‘Razavi Pilgrimage, an opportunity to get close to Allah’
TEHRAN, Jul. 17 (MNA) – An American pilgrim described her pilgrimage to the Imam Reza shrine in Mashhad as “a special opportunity to get close to Allah.”
- Yemen’s Ansarullah: Political dialog the only way out of conflict in violence-wracked Arab state
AhlulBayt News Agency – Delegates from the Houthi Ansarullah movement at the fresh round of Yemeni peace talks in Kuwait have described political dialog as the only way out of the conflict in the violence-wracked Arab state.
- Syrian President: Erdogan likely using recent coup bid to eliminate his opponents in govt institutions
AhlulBayt News Agency – Syrian President Bashar al-Assad says the Turkish president may be using the recent coup attempt in Turkey to eliminate his opponents in government institutions.
- Bahrain regime summons Imam of Al-Zahraa Mosque ‘Sheikh Ali Hmaidan’
AhlulBayt News Agency – Bahrain’s Ministry of Interior summoned Shiite Cleric Sheikh Ali Hmaidan, Imam of Al-Zahraa Mosque in Hamad Town for interrogation.
- ISIS slaughters dozens of Kurdish civilians north Syria
Militants of the ISIS on Saturday infiltrated into the countryside of Kobane in Syria’s northern Aleppo province and slaughtered dozens of civilians, activists and eyewitnesses reported.