- The battle in Iraq that could turn the tide against Islamic State: The fight for Mosul is about to begin
The languid atmosphere in the Joint Operations Center, here on the historic plains of northern Iraq, is deceptive. For months, they have been preparing for what could be a turning point in the fight against Islamic State and its 2-year-old, self-proclaimed caliphate in Syria and Iraq: the campaign to retake Mosul.
- Syrian army soldiers, allies recapture more districts in Aleppo
Syrian government forces have managed to gain more ground against foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants in the strategic northwestern city of Aleppo.
- Suicide bomber kills 7 in Baghdad; Shiites targeted
BAGHDAD – A suicide bomber killed at least seven people who were setting up tents on Sunday ahead of a major Shiite religious observance next month, officials said.
- Syria: Cave hospital destroyed in suspected bunker-buster attack
(CNN)A hospital inside a cave in northeastern Syria has been forced to shut down after being hit by suspected “bunker-buster” missiles, according to an international aid organization.
- Shiites to coordinate during Ashoura commemoration
Leaders of the Amal Movement and Hezbollah in southern Lebanon announced they would cooperate and coordinate logistics for the upcoming Ashoura commemoration Thursday.
- ISIS kills Iraqi mother in front of her children
(AhlulBayt News Agency) – A mother has been executed by an ISIS firing squad in front of her children in Iraq – because she tried to run away from her village after it was taken over by the terrorist organization.
- JASTA passed: 9/11 Survivors can raise legal case against Saudi Arabia
(AhlulBayt News Agency) – The US Congress Intelligence Committee in mid-July published a secret 28-page document about possible links of the Saudi government to the 9/11 terrorist attacks hijackers, according to which 15 of 19 people who had hands in the attacks were Saudi citizens and some of them had close family contacts with some of the Saudi Arabian royals.
- Shia Muslims celebrate life of martyr Imam Husayn
Shia Muslims took part in a march through Leicester to mourn and celebrate the life of one of their faith’s most important spiritual leaders.
- Syria: Hospital attacked as regime makes gains in Aleppo
(CNN)The fierce battle for Syria’s largest city intensified Sunday, with a civilian hospital attacked and pro-regime forces gaining ground in Aleppo.
- Syria calls on Aleppo rebels to surrender
Syrian rebels and pro-government forces have clashed on several fronts around Aleppo as the country’s military command called on militants to lay down their weapons and leave the contested city.