- Thane Muslims observe Muharram by fasting, offering namaz & self-flagellation
Thane: The Islamic community observed the 10th day of Muharram, also known as Ashura, by offering namaaz, fast and mouring on Wednesday.
- Triple talaq row: There’s scope for reconciliation between Islam, modernity
A specious discourse is driving the battle over ‘triple talaq’, the Muslim practice of divorce. This is keeping us from the real thing: that there is a case for — and possibility of — reconciling Islam with modernity.
- Triple talaq: Muslim personal law board to boycott law panel, irks BJP
AIMPLB has decided to boycott the law commission over the triple talaq issue accusing it of acting on the behalf of Modi government to pave way for imposition of uniform civil code.
- IRAN DISMANTLES FOREIGN ISIS CELL PLOTTING TO BOMB ASHURA MOURNERS
Authorities seized some 100 kilograms of explosives in plan to target Shiite mourning period.
- Iran Sends Ships to Yemeni Coast in Wake of U.S. Strikes
Iran says it has dispatched two warships to the Gulf of Aden to ply the same waters as several U.S. Navy vessels are already operating there, one of which launched several Tomahawk missiles at Tehran-backed Houthi radar installations early Thursday morning.
- Syria’s Assad says taking Aleppo from rebels key to pushing ‘terrorists’ back to Turkey
Syria’s President Bashar al-Assad said on Friday that the Syrian army’s capture of Aleppo, which has come under renewed bombardment in an effort to seize its rebel-held sector, would be “a very important springboard” to pushing “terrorists” back to Turkey.
- SYRIA ACTIVISTS SAY MORE THAN 65 KILLED IN 3 DAYS IN ALEPPO
BEIRUT (AP) — Overnight shelling and over a dozen airstrikes on rebel-held parts of the Syrian city of Aleppo killed at least 11 people, bringing the death toll over the last three days in the embattled city to at least 65, activists said Thursday.
- More bloodshed in Afghanistan
There is no end to bloodshed in Afghanistan. The latest killings perpetrated by terrorists in Kabul on the holy occasion of Ashura are condemnable.
- Nigeria: Ban on Shia Religious Group
The governor of Nigeria’s Kaduna State issued an order on October 7, 2016, banning the Shia religious group the Islamic Movement of Nigeria (IMN).
- Shia community in Mumbai mourns Imam Hussain on Ashura
Thousands of shi’ites hold matam processions with ritualistic self-flagellation to observe the death of the grandson of Prophet Mohammed