- Libya revolt: Tripoli braced as Gaddafi arms supporters
People in the Libyan capital, Tripoli, are braced for further battles after the country’s leader, Colonel Muammar Gaddafi, said he would open weapons depots to arm his supporters.
- Iraq’s biggest oil refinery shut by gun and bomb attack
An early morning gun and bomb attack has shut down Iraq’s biggest oil refinery, Baiji, with at least two employees killed.
- Egypt panel suggests presidential term limits
An Egyptian panel tasked with amending the country’s constitution has recommended presidential term limits — a significant change from the current open-ended presidency.
- Top Shia cleric stresses Shia Fiq’h as solution for today’s society
Grand jurisprudent, Ayatollah Ali Safi Golpaygani stressed Shia Fiqh beside Qur’an, Nahjul Balagha and guidelines of Imam’s as the solution to the questions of the Muslims today.
- Rival clerics battle for control of seminary that inspired Taliban
At the centre of the opposition to Mr Vastanvi is the Madani family. In the early 1980s, Asad Madani, a senior cleric, manipulated circumstances to seize control of the seminary and after his death in 2006, his family members ensured an ally became vice-chancellor.
- Saudi Shi’ites stage another protest in oil province
Saudi Shi’ites held a small demonstration in the oil-producing Eastern province, close to Gulf neighbour Bahrain, days after authorities freed Shi’ite prisoners following a similar protest
- Arab solidarity march held in London
British human rights organizations and peace groups Friday joined a variety of Arab liberation movements in a march of solidarity with series of uprisings in many Middle East countries.
- Reform movement gathers forces in the Bohra community
Charges against Bohra religious head range from tyranny to corruption
- Jamia Millia Islamia to flag off cycle rally
The Jamia Millia Islamia will flag off its annual cycle rally from the Indo-Pak border Monday that will reach the capital March 8, a statement here said.The university organises the rally on a specific theme every year. It was Pushkar-Ajmer-Delhi journey last year.
- Bahrain Shi’ite opposition leader home from exile
Bahraini Shi’ite opposition leader Hassan Mushaimaa arrived home from exile on Saturday and was not detained at the airport, witnesses said.