- Saudi Wahhabi Officials Indict Prominent Shia Cleric ‘Sheikh Tawfiq al-Amer’ After Year in Jail
Saudi Arabian officials have issued an indictment against prominent Shia cleric Sheikh Tawfiq al-Amer, who has been held in jail for one year without trial.
- Syria set to be suspended from Organisation of Islamic Cooperation
Leaders of Muslim countries are expected to suspend Syria’s membership of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation at a summit in Mecca.
- Saudi security forces shoot dead a citizen in bordering Yemen
Saudi Arabia’s security forces have shot and killed a man who refused to stop at a police checkpoint in the Jizan province, bordering the kingdom’s southern neighbor Yemen.
- Independence Day Bombing
At least 12 wounded after bomb detonates at a gathering celebrating Pakistan’s 65th birthday in Quetta.
- 8 bombers with 1,100 kilos of explosives arrested in Baghdad
Iraqi security forces have arrested eight bombers with 1,100 kilograms of explosives in their possession in Baghdad.
- Assad regime near collapse
ALEPPO, Syria, Aug 14, (Agencies): Syria’s former prime minister, the highest profile government figure to defect, said Tuesday the regime was collapsing and controlled barely a third of the conflict-wracked country.
- US: Iran ‘building Syrian militia’
Iran is playing a growing role supporting the Syrian regime and is helping to build and train a militia to fight opposition forces, US defence chiefs say.
- Kuwait begins taking opinions on constituencies, poll system
KUWAIT CITY, Aug 13: The government has started taking the opinions of political blocs, civil society institutions, youth activists and lawmakers on the proposed amendments to the electoral constituency and voting systems, reports Al-Hurriya daily quoting a reliable source.
- World Muslim body poised to suspend Syria
MECCA, Saudi Arabia: The world’s largest pan-Islamic bloc was poised Wednesday to suspend conflict-wracked Syria, a move strongly opposed by Iran, a staunch ally of the regime of President Bashar Assad.
- Yemen separatist leader detained in Aden: source
ADEN: A Yemeni secessionist leader was detained Wednesday when his plane from Britain landed at Aden airport, a fellow leader of the separatist movement told Reuters.