- Ambitious mullah spotlights Pakistan sectarian menace
The hardline Sunni Muslim cleric may have been defeated at polls five years ago, but he’s confident of winning a seat in Pakistan’s election on Saturday, furthering his bid to oppress Shiites.
- Possible presidential front-runners in Iran
The following are potential front-runners in Iran’s June 14 presidential elections. The list of candidates will be announced later this month after vetting by Iran’s ruling clerics:
- Wahhabi Extremists Continue Desecrating Muslim Sanctuaries
TEHRAN (FNA)- Wahhabi extremists damaged the mausoleum of a highly revered Shiite figure in Jordan on Saturday after desecrating the shrine of another Muslim figure in Syria a few days ago.
- Tensions rise between Iraq’s Sunnis and Shiites
Some international observers are growing concerned about renewed civil war between Iraq’s Sunnis and Shiites. The city of Fallujah represents a hotbed of Sunni protest against Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, a Shiite.
- Iraqi PM’s group wins largest bloc of votes in 7 provinces in local election, but no majority
BAGHDAD — A coalition led by Iraq’s prime minister has won the largest single bloc of seats in seven of 12 provinces participating in local elections, and tied in an eighth, although it failed to achieve a majority in any of the districts, electoral officials announced Saturday.
- Salman Khurshid in Tehran; India, Iran decide to give major push to bilateral ties
TEHRAN: India and Iran today decided to give a major push to their bilateral ties in all aspects including connectivity for which New Delhi will participate in the upgradation of strategically crucial Chahbahar port.
- Birmingham “has become a byword for Islamic extremist terror”
City home to alleged Saudi financier of 9/11 attacks, birthplace of Britain’s first suicide bomber and centre of UK’s first Al Qaida terror plot
- Shiites reel at desecration of holy shrine
BEIRUT: The destruction of a holy Shiite shrine near Damascus and exhumation of the body within, allegedly at the hands of Sunni rebels, was met with fury and condemnation by Shiite leaders across the region Friday.