- Saudi, Egypt downplay reports of discord over Syria
CAIRO (AP) — Egypt and Saudi Arabia sought Sunday to downplay reports of discord among the close allies over Syria during a visit of the Saudi foreign minister to Cairo.
- Baghdad (AFP) – Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi sought to reassure Saudi Arabia Sunday that Iraq is not a “gateway for Iran” and will not take part in regional conflicts between the two countries.
- Baghdad (AFP) – Iraqi security forces lost 2,300 Humvee armoured vehicles when the Islamic State jihadist group overran the northern city of Mosul, Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi said on Sunday.
- Beirut (AFP) – Kurdish militia in Syria wrested control of a dozen villages from the extremist Islamic State group either side of the jihadist’s bastion province of Raqa on Sunday, a monitor said.
- DIRIYAH, Saudi Arabia — More than 250 years ago, in this sunbaked oasis of mud-brick houses and ramparts, the ancestors of the Saudi royal family and an outcast fundamentalist preacher formed an alliance that has shaped this land ever since.
- Members of Saudi Arabia’s Shia minority are forming civil defence groups after twin suicide bombings over the past two Fridays — claimed by the Sunni jihadi Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isis).
- The Saudi division of the Islamic State jihadist group has called on jihadist supporters to clear the Arabian Peninsula of Shia Muslims in an audio recording, according to a US-based monitoring group.
- The Associated Press cites a release from the official Saudi Press Agency to report a second suicide bomb attack against a Shiite mosque in the Kingdom. At least four people were killed in the Friday attack.
- A spokesman for the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) said May 29 that onerous documentation requirements by the government of Iraq have made life even more difficult for some 85,000 Iraqis displaced by Ramadi’s capture by the Islamic State (IS) on May 17.
- WASHINGTON – Iraq’s Sunni Muslim officials and religious leaders accused Shiite militias of burning a Sunni man alive in an incident they say show the risk of using the gunmen to fight the militant group Islamic State.