- Iran summons UAE envoy over arrest of 9 teachers
TEHRAN, Iran – Iran has summoned the United Arab Emirates envoy to Tehran over the arrest of nine Iranian teachers who were working in the Gulf federation.
- Report: Washington Post’s Rezaian sentenced in Iran; verdict is unknown
(CNN)An Iranian court has handed down a verdict in the espionage trial of jailed Washington Post journalist Jason Rezaian, the semiofficial Iranian Students’ News Agency reported on Sunday, quoting the judiciary spokesman.
- Shiites in Iraq Hailing Putin for Syria Push
NAJAF, Iraq — One of the most popular Facebook posts in Iraq’s Shiite heartland is a Photoshopped image of President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia dressed in the robe of a southern tribal sheikh.
- Conference for Shiite girls who attain the age of puberty hold in Kano, Nigeria / Pics
Ahlul Bayt News Agency – First conference attended by girls who attained the age of puberty was held in Kano on Friday the 9th of October, 2015 at Husainiyyah Kano.
- Iraqi Shiites Laud Russian Airstrikes in Syria, Deplore US Failures
MOSCOW (Sputnik) – Lawmakers and ordinary citizens in Iraq’s Shiite heartland lauded Russia for airstrikes against the Islamic State (ISIL) jihadist group in neighbouring Syria while deploring the United States’ failures in the region, US media reported.
- At least 20 prisoners killed in Saudi-led coalition airstrike in Yemen
AL-BAYDA, Yemen, Oct. 11 (UPI) — Airstrikes by the Saudi-led coalition against Yemen’s Shiite Houthi rebels killed at least 20 prisoners in the country’s al-Bayda province on Sunday.
- Daesh militants kill 60 comrades in west, north Iraq
Members of the Daesh Takfiri militant group have reportedly executed dozens of its own members in Iraq’s embattled western and northern provinces of Anbar and Kirkuk.
- Fall of the Brotherhood, Rise of the Salafis
Editor’s Note: The 2013 coup in Egypt did not, as the story so often goes in the West, lead to the end of the Islamist role in Egyptian politics. Rather, it led the new regime to crack down on the Muslim Brotherhood but accommodate a Salafi role in politics.
- IAF strikes Hamas targets in Gaza in response to rocket fire
After two rocket attacks from Gaza in two days, IAF targets Hamas weapons manufacturing sites • Two Palestinians reportedly killed in IAF strikes • Iron Dome batteries deployed in Beersheba and Ofakim due to fears of escalation in Gaza.
- Iran holds funeral for senior commander killed in Syria
TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iran held a funeral Sunday for Gen. Hossein Hamedani, a senior Revolutionary Guard commander who was killed by the Islamic State group last week near the Syrian city of Aleppo, according to a state TV report.
Reading Time: 2 minutes