Some so-called Muslims accuse the Shias, baselessly and absurdly, of exaggerating the position of the infallible Imams (a.s.), particularly Ameerul Momineen Ali b. Abi Talib (a.s.). Among other allegations they claim that the Shias elevate Ali b. Abi Talib (a.s.) to a position higher than that of the companions, even the Prophets and some radical Muslims also falsely accuse the Shias of attributing Ali b. Abi Talib (a.s.) with divinity and godhood.
Based on such allegations they accuse the Shias of disbelief –infidelity and polytheism (Shirk).
It appears that these accusations were invented with the sole purpose of branding Shias as Infidels and giving a license to the terrorists to shed their blood.
In the very least, these accusations show these very Muslims in poor light as it is established that they are not familiar with their own books and comments of scholars regarding Ameerul Momineen Ali b. Abi Talib (a.s.).
Shias do not advance references from their own books to prove Ali b. Abi Talib’s (a.s.) excellence. Like the brilliance of the sun, his virtues cannot be concealed and even the most prejudiced of Muslims have made a mention of his virtues in their books.
If these Muslims had only referred to these books they would have saved themselves and the society a lot of trouble. Since they have brought up the subject of Shias being Infidels, the problem confronting these Muslims is not regarding the Shias it is about their own scholars who have documented the amazing virtues of Ali b. Abi Talib (a.s.).
So the question that needs answering is – Can scholars of Ahle Tasannun like Ahmed b. Hanbal, Imam Shafi’ee, Ahmed b. Shoaib al-Nesaai, be considered Infidels for recording the virtues of Ali b. Abi Talib (a.s.)?
If they cannot be considered Infidels, how can Shias be considered as Infidels for merely reiterating these virtues from Ahle Tasannun sources? Shias are NOT inventing these virtues as these Muslims claims.
For illustration, we have mentioned some virtues of Ali b. Abi Talib (a.s.) each of which we will explore in depth from Ahle Tasannun sources in forthcoming articles.
- Ali b. Abi Talib (a.s.) and his Shias are superior to mankind – one who rejects it is an infidel
- Ali b. Abi Talib (a.s.) is superior to companions
- Prophet Adam (a.s.) was forgiven through the mediation (waseelah) of Ali b. Abi Talib (a.s.) and other infallible Imams (a.s.)
- The Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.) and Ali b. Abi Talib (a.s.) are created from the same tree; of the creation is created from other trees
- The Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.) and Ali b. Abi Talib (a.s.) are created from the same light
- Ali b. Abi Talib (a.s.) was the first to accept Islam – and like the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.) never worshipped idols
- Ali b. Abi Talib (a.s.) was in relation to the Prophet (s.a.w.a.) like Haroon was to Moosa – none could claim brotherhood with the Prophet (s.a.w.a.) save Ali b. Abi Talib (a.s.)
- Ali b. Abi Talib (a.s.) was appointed as Heir (waarith), Legatee (wasi), Minister (wazir), Master (wali) and Leader (Imam) by the Prophet (s.a.w.a.) on numerous occasions
- Ali b. Abi Talib (a.s.) is the al-Siddeeq al-Akbar and al-Farooq of the Muslim nation; he is Ameerul Momineen and none can claim these and his other titles except a liar
- Ali b. Abi Talib (a.s.) is with the Truth and the Truth is with Ali (a.s.)
And there are many more virtues than can be enumerated by all the jinn and mankind and that which pen and paper can write down.
These virtues are documented categorically in the most highly regarded Ahle Tasannun books like Sahih-e-Bukhari, Sahih-e-Muslim, Sunan-e-Nesaai and acknowledged by the highest Ahle Tasannun authorities like Ahmed b. Hanbal, Shafi’ee and even contemporary Salafi authorities like Nasir Albaani (the self-proclaimed Teacher of Traditions of the Salafis).
After this, there is no question of these virtues being invented by Shias. Rather, this is a claim invented by some so-called Muslims who have no reply to the fact that their own elders and teachers have recorded the extraordinary merits of Ali b. Abi Talib (a.s.) in their books.