Some Muslims hostile to the Shias reject specific beliefs only because they are perceived as part of Shiite ideology. One such belief is that of Imam Mahdi (a.t.f.s.) – the Promised Messiah who is prophesied to fill the earth with peace and justice in the last age. These Muslim groups consider the Promised Mahdi an invention of the Shias with no link to Islam and the Sunnah.
The belief in Imam Mahdi (a.t.f.s.) is a well-documented fact, going by the books of renowned Ahle Tasannun (Sunni) scholars.
As a matter of fact, entire books have been compiled by Ahle Tasannun scholars exclusively on Imam Mahdi (a.t.f.s.).
While the books are too many to record, we have listed some of the more well-known ones over here:
- Iqd al-Durar fi Akhbaar-e-Muntazar wa howa al-Mahdi (a.s) by Allamah Yusuf b. Yahya b. Ali b. Abdul Aziz Muqaddasi Shafe’i Salmi
- Al-Bayaan fi Akhbaare Saaheb al-Zamaan by Abu Abdillah b. Muhammad Yusuf al-Ghanji al-Shafe’i (exp. 658 A.H.)
- Arf al-Wardi fi Akhbaar al-Mahdi by Jalaal al-Deen Abd al-Rahman Ibn Abu Bakr al-Suyuti (exp. 911 A.H.)
- Al-Burhaan fi Alaamaat al-Mahdi Aakhir al-Zamaan by Alaa al-Deen Ali Ibn Hesaam al-Deen, famous as al-Muttaqi al-Hindi (exp 975 A.H.)
- Al-Qawl al-Mukhtasar fi Alaamaat al-Mahdi al-Muntazar (a.t.f.s.) by Ibn Hajar al-Makki (exp. 974 A.H.)
- Risalah fi al-Mahdi (a.t.f.s.) in Persian by Shaikh Ali Ibn Hisaam al-Deen i.e. Mutaqqi al-Hindi (exp. 975 A.H.)
- Mashrab al-Wardi fi Mazhab al-Mahdi (a.t.f.s.) by Shaikh Ali Qari
- Fawaid al-Fikr fi Zuhoor al-Mahdi al-Muntazar (a.t.f.s.) by Muree Ibn Yusuf al-Hanbali
- Al-Tauzeeh fi Tawatur ma jaa fi al-Mahdi al-Muntazar (a.t.f.s.) wa al-Dajjal wa al-Maseeh by Al-Qazi Muhammad Ibn Ali al-Shawkani (exp. 1250 A.H.)
These are some of the books compiled exclusively on Imam Mahdi (a.t.f.s.) by Ahle Tasannun scholars.
In addition to these, their scholars have devoted entire chapters / sections in other compilations. For instance in his Sunan, the highly regarded Abu Dawood, has devoted a chapter to Imam Mahdi (a.t.f.s.). Similarly, Ibn Kathir student of Ibn Taymiyyah has compiled a separate section on Imam Mahdi (a.t.f.s.) in his Al-Fetan wa al-Malahim.
If the belief in Imam Mahdi (a.t.f.s.) is a Shiite invention how does one explain the long list of Ahle Tasannun content on the subject?